Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Stiff (Chunk 3)

In Chapters six through nine of "Stiff", Roach continues to explain the multiple uses of cadavers with vigorous quantities of credible research, imagery, similes and humorous irony. Roach elucidates the fact that the amount of urgency changes between the hastiness of a patient going into surgery, and a cadaver lying on a gurney, on its way to a research lab. She also identifies the usage of cadavers with known facts in history including anatomical and impact research, as well as religious experiments. In example, "[Zugibe] became interested in the science of crucifixion fifty years ago, as a biology student, when someone gave him a paper to read about the medical aspects of Crucifixion (Page 161)". Roach also gives further information about the concerns of live burials and the humiliating methods doctors and "patients" underwent to determine the lively from the dead. For instance, "One French Clergyman recommended thrusting a red-hot poker up what Bondeson genteelly refers to as 'the rear passage'(Page 171)". Though managing to be very respectful, Roach continues to display her non-stop humorous connections between cadavers and living beings.




Clarification:

( You can answer either, or, or both =] )

Was the "beating-heart cadaver" H used in chapter eight breathing on its own, or was it on life support and just brain dead? If so if someone applies to be an organ donor, is it legal to remove their organs if they're still breathing on their own, but brain dead?


(I went to Wikipedia.com, and I still don' know) What exactly is the "Shroud of Turin"?




Application: If you chose not to be a donated cadaver, would you ever consider being an organ donor?

2 comments:

  1. Clarification:
    I'm pretty sure that the acclaimed Shroud of Turin would be a piece of cloth that Jesus was cloaked in when he was removed from the Cross on Mt. Calvary. When they began taking him down after he had passed, they clothed him in the "Shroud" and moved him to be buried. That would explain whatevr blood was on it.

    Application:
    I would consider being an organ donor if I were to donate my body. I think that organ donation is one of the more humane cadaver uses, over plastic surgery practice. Who knows, my heart could save a life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarification:

    The cadavar was on some sort of life support, so I don't think it was breathing on its own. And I am somewhat sure that if that person was brain dead and they gave consent to have thier organs donated it wouldn't be illegal.

    Application:

    I would consider to be a organ donor if I donated my body, I would be happy to know that I could save a life. But on the other hand I don't think I would donate my body in the first place

    ReplyDelete