Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stiff chunk 3

The last section of Mary Roach's Stiff sheds light on a new idea about cadavers. Roach uses rhetorical questions, logical as well as emotional appeal, quotes, facts and expert opinions to address her audience with a new way of viewing cadavers. Roach explains the process of mummification, cremation as well as "water reduction". Throughout this chunk she uses lots of sources to elucidate the credibility of her knowledge. She goes further, and talks of cannibalism that may be considered rituals for other cultures, and may be viewed as inhumane in other customs. Roach also informs her audience about the other secretions used from cadavers, such as: saliva, urine, and the placenta to treat diseases and other physical hardships. She continues to explore human cadavers and its uses until she begins to wonder what will happen to her body, and after decomposition, what would be considered "environmental-friendly".



Clarification:
What did Roach mean when she said "water reduction" was like boiling dead bodies in acid?


Application:
How do you feel about cannibalism? After reading this book, if you were to go to a Chinese ritual that consists of the consumption of a sacrificed body, would you participate?

3 comments:

  1. Clarification:

    I think that Roach meant that water reduction was just a way to remove body tissue and things of the such off of a corpse

    Application:

    Honestly I don't like cannibalizm at all. The thought of eating a human being that could have been someone's brother, sister, or mother or something sickens me just a bit. So, having said that, would not be able to participate in a Chinese ritual like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarification:
    I would guess that water reduction is some type of way by which water is removed from the body of a cadaver.

    Application:
    Well based on my culture and how I have grown I would have to say that cannabalism is wrong, however I do understand that other cultures have developed to participate in cannabalism. Respecting anothers culture is how I see it, even if partaking of human flesh is what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarification:
    I'm guessing that the water reduction was just used to remove any bodily fluids from the body part.

    Application:
    I am completely against cannibalism! I don't see how someone could possibly take part in the eating of human flesh. To me it's just sick and twisted. I understand that in some cultures they embrace cannibalism, and in some cases take part in it, but I could never see myself doing that, reguardless of if I was invited to take part in the rituals or not. I respect everyones personal beliefs, but wouldnt really take part in them.

    ReplyDelete